I wish that…
!. The United States does not get into another war.
2. The United States Congress concentrates on working for what’s best for the country instead of what’s best for members of Congress.
3. The astronomical cost of healthcare stops rising.
4. The cost of education for physicians is greatly reduced, bringing the cost more in line with other countries, many of which provide free education for physicians.
5, American universities put more emphasis on lowering the costs of education than adding administrators and new buildings.
6. That we start valuing excellent educators more than football coaches.
7. American news media return to the days of responsible journalism, concentrating more on stories that affect people’s lives and less on sensationalism and that we produce more journalists like H. L. Mencken, Ida Tarbell, David Halberstam, Edward R. Murrow, Walter Cronkite, Ben Bradlee, and Woodward and Bernstein.
8. That our economy continues to improve.
9 . That we continue the trend toward producing more renewable energy.
10. That more of us follow Martin Luther King, Jr.’s admonition that we judge people “not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
What do you wish most for in 2015?